Lower Costs, Better Productivity in Your Emergency Department
- Your Price: $399.00
- Add to Cart
Presented on 4/30/2012
Increase Emergency Department throughput & decrease cost. Join us for proven ED cost-reduction and efficiency improvement strategies from three ED leaders.
You’ll leave this webcast knowing how to:
- Implement a split flow segmented ED workflow
- Create a staffing model applied to this new workflow to ensure enhanced productivity
- Build the business case for re-engineered workflow in the ED
- Enact a supply standardization process that reduces variation between providers for efficient and effective par levels
- Maximize your "power buying" potential with discounted rates and standardization
A roundtable-style interview and discussion, guided by pre-submitted audience questions
- Reducing cost per visit
- Standardization with equipment and supplies
- Leveraging buying power
- Standardizing the approach
- Optimizing staff productivity
- Traditional work flow model vs. new model
- Redesigning the model of care/ work flow
- Applying a staff model that improves productivity &patient throughput
- Use of physician extenders & scribes
- Maximizing licensure of clinicians
- Optimizing utilization for scope of practice
- Focusing providers on value-added activities
- Using efficiency models in ED improvement
- Better operations & billing
- Culture of change
- Using metrics for comparisons
- Influencing the decision to change
- Incentivizing behavior
- The future of ED: Cost & utilization reductions
- Better productivity & less resource utilization
- ACOs, outpatient care & transitions of care
- Caveats to future approaches
Kirk B. Jensen, MD, MBA, FACEP, chief medical officer for BestPractices, Inc., and VP of EmCare, Inc., has over 20 years’ experience in emergency medicine management and clinical care. He is faculty member, chair, and presenter for the Institute for Healthcare Improvement (IHI), focusing on quality improvement, patient satisfaction, and patient flow both within the ED and throughout the hospital.
Co-author of numerous articles and three books, Leadership for Smooth Patient Flow (2007 ACHE Hamilton Award winner), Hardwiring Flow, and The Hospital Executive’s Guide to Emergency Department Management, coach for EDs across the country, and popular speaker, Jensen received 2010-11 American College of Emergency Physicians (ACEP) Speaker of the Year Award.
Joseph S. Guarisco, MD, FAAEM, FACEP, is currently chairman of the department of emergency medicine, Ochsner Medical Center, and system chair of emergency services, Ochsner Health System, New Orleans, LA. He has extensive experience in ED informative automation pertinent to the design, development, and implementation of ED information systems. He has published and lectured widely on the use of automation in workflow redesign and ED process improvement and is well known for his work in physician performance profiling and data-driven ED management.
Under his leadership, the 2005 Ochsner Clinic Foundation award for outstanding achievements in patient satisfaction was awarded to the department of emergency medicine. Additionally, Guarisco has been recognized by Press Ganey for innovative use of data in improving patient satisfaction at Ochsner and is the winner of the Press Ganey 2005 Success Story Award. He was appointed AAEM Chair for Operations Management in February 2012.
Teri Johnson-Kelley, MSN, RN, CEN, is the director of nursing for the emergency department at Banner Estrella Medical Center, a 34-bed department that saw 92,400 patients in 2011. The emergency department has won national awards for quality care for three years in a row.
Johnson-Kelly has over 15 years of management and leadership experience. She is a lieutenant in the U.S. Navy Nurse Corp with 23 years of honorable service. A native Arizonian, she obtained her Baccalaureate degree from Arizona State University and her Master’s of Science degree in Nursing from the University of Phoenix.
WHO IS ATTENDING?
CFOs, CEOs, CMOs, COOs, VPs of revenue / finance, group practice administrators, emergency department administration, management engineering,
directors of revenue / finance, hospital administration, managers of revenue / finance
Webcast on-demand allows you to download the program and play it back at your convenience through your computer. It’s a perfect training tool for new staff or a refresher for veteran staff.
WEBCAST SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
To fully benefit from the Webcast experience, you will need a computer equipped with a Broadband Internet connection, a sound card, and speakers or headphones. Macromedia Flash player Version 8.0 or greater, a recommended screen resolution of 1024 x 768, and an Internet Browser (e.g. Internet Explorer). The use of AOL or wireless Internet connections is not recommended.