Competencies for Staff Educators
Tools to Evaluate and Enhance Nursing Professional Development
Julia Aucoin, DNS, RN, BC;
Barbara Brunt, MA, MN, RN, BC
- Retail: $99.00
- Your Price: $49.00
- Add to Cart
Staff educators have many resources for measuring clinical competency, but there has never been an objective, validated tool to measure the competencies of staff development specialists… until now.
Competencies for Staff Educators: Tools to Evaluate and Enhance Nursing Professional Development is the first book to give staff educators a downloadable tool to establish and demonstrate proficiency.
With more than 70 evidence-based competencies, staff educators can immediately incorporate them into practice.
With this book and downloadable tools, you will be able to
- create orientations for new staff educators
- complete self-assessments and set performance goals
- write criterion-based job descriptions
- perform accurate performance reviews and measure proficiency
- measure professional development and cultural competence
The 72 evidence-based competencies are offered as downloadable materials, allowing you to immediately customize and incorporate them into your daily practice. In addition, it includes fully customizable tools and resources such as sample orientation schedules and sample position descriptions.
Learning objectives include:
- discuss key components of competence and competency-based education
- describe the research process used to develop the competencies and performance criteria
- identify how the educational competencies fit with the ANA standards, Harden’s outcome model, and Benner’s novice–to-expert continuum
- list at least four methods to validate competence
- complete a self-assessment using the checklist
- develop an educator position description specific to the setting
- create an orientation plan for a new educator
- create a development plan based on performance appraisal feedback
- develop a professional portfolio
- discuss the importance of cultural competence in the educational role
- identify at least three applications of the competencies
Competencies for Staff Educators is a must-have for:
- nurse educators in any setting
- directors of education
- HR professionals
- chief nursing officers
- directors of nursing
Earn continuing education credits
HCPro is accredited as a provider of continuing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center Commission on Accreditation.
Credit Designation Statement
This educational activity for 3 nursing contact hours is provided by HCPro, Inc.
Take a look at the table of contents:
- Overview of the competency movement
- Developing educator competencies
- Creating a framework for educator competencies
- Methods to validate competencies
- Criterion-based position descriptions
- Orientations for new educators
- Performance appraisals and professional development plans
- Professional portfolios
- Documenting cultural competence
- Other potential applications of the competencies
About the author
Barbara A. Brunt, MA, MN, RN, BC, is Director of Nursing Education and Staff Development for Summa Health System Hospitals in Akron, OH. Over the past 28 years, she has held a variety of staff development positions, including educator, coordinator, and director. Ms. Brunt has been active in numerous professional associations and has received awards for excellence in writing, nursing research, leadership, and staff development. She is a co-author of the Competency Management System: Toolkit for Validation and Assessment, published by HCPro. She is serving a term as President-Elect of the National Nursing Staff Development Organization (NNSDO) through July of 2007, when she will begin a two-year term as President of the organization.
About the contributing author
Dr. Julia Aucoin is certified in Nursing Professional Development and Academic Education and has worked on the certification teams with associated competencies for both specialty practices. She has served as a professor in nursing education and as the CE Consultant for the North Carolina Nurses Association. Dr. Aucoin is a frequent presenter at the NNSDO and National League for Nursing’s Annual Conventions. She is co-editor of Conversations in Nursing Professional Development, published by NNSDO.
Faculty disclosure: Barbara A. Brunt and Dr. Julia Aucoin have declared they have no commercial/financial vested interest in this activity.
Product Types :