Nurse Preceptor Training System, Second Edition
Today’s preceptors play a vital role in keeping the next generation of nurses at the bedside. Without proper training and support, they are often set up to fail. Help your preceptors turn new nurses or nursing students into competent, energized members of the staff with the Nurse Preceptor Training System, Second Edition.
In this second edition of our bestselling preceptor program, we have completely revised and expanded content to provide all new material on creating effective workshops and training programs—and stepping up your existing program. With the help of this updated binder, handbook, and CD-ROM set, it’s never been easier to train effective preceptors, improve orientation and staff satisfaction, and boost retention.
The core of the training system is the completely revised Nurse Preceptor Program Builder: Tools for a Successful Preceptor Program, Second Edition. This easy-to-use binder contains updated strategies for creating an effective preceptor program, and contains all new content on:
- roles and responsibilities of preceptors and preceptees
- adult learning principles and teaching strategies
- efforts to build professional practice environments
- strategies to help new nurses overcome reality shock
- ways to encourage critical thinking, evidence-based decision-making, and time management skills
- ideas for creating competency-based orientation programs
- strategies for advancing from precepting to mentoring
- tips to provide effective feedback and performance evaluations
If your organization is building or maintaining an ANCC Magnet Recognition Program® culture of nursing excellence, it needs to show evidence of resources and support for new nurses. The Nurse Preceptor Training System, Second Edition can help you do just that that. The accompanying CD-ROM is packed with all the customizable tools presented in the binder, as well as extra material for holding effective nurse preceptor training workshops. The CD-ROM includes:
- Two workbooks for participants of Effective Nurse Preceptor Workshops—You can use these workbooks as they are or customize them for your program with the accompanying tools
- Two PowerPoint slide presentations, aligned with the workbooks, that you can use to accompany your workshops
- New employee orientation outlines
- Competency assessment forms, checklists, and agendas
- Mentoring tools, including relationship guide, mentor application, and mentor agreement
- Additional tools including sample evaluation forms and guidelines for feedback material—all completely customizable for your facility
The training system also includes 10 copies of the companion handbook, The Effective Nurse Preceptor Handbook: Your Guide to Success, Second Edition. For use during training and out in the field, this handbook will help preceptors improve their precepting skills and meet their precepting challenges. (Additional copies available for purchase. Click here to learn more.)
A complete “workshop in a box,” the Nurse Preceptor Training System, Second Edition is the perfect resource for chief nursing officers, VPs of nursing, directors of nursing, nurse managers, and nurse educators.
Earn 10 continuing education credits!
HCPro is accredited as a provider of continuing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center Commission on Accreditation.
This educational activity for 10 nursing contact hours is provided by HCPro, Inc.
About the author
Diana Swihart, PhD, DMin, MSN, CS, RN-BC, is a clinical nurse specialist in nursing education at the Bay Pines (FL) VA Healthcare System. She is the author of Shared Governance: A Practical Approach to Reshaping Professional Nursing Practice, published by HCPro, and has published and spoken on numerous topics related to nursing, shared governance, competency assessment, education, and staff development, both locally and nationally. She is currently the treasurer for the National Nursing Staff Development Organization (NNSDO), is an ANCC accreditation appraiser, and has served as an ANCC Magnet Recognition Program® appraiser.
Faculty disclosure: Diana Swihart has declared she has no commercial/vested interest in this product.
- Explain the need for establishing effective nurse preceptorships in today’s complex healthcare environment
- Differentiate between coaching, precepting, and mentoring
- Describe the role of preceptorships in orientation
- Identify three different roles of preceptors
- Describe essential responsibilities of preceptors
- Describe the components of an effective preceptorship program
- Explain how to develop a workshop for training preceptors
- Describe the process for identifying preceptors and preceptees
- Identify the risks and rewards of preceptorships
- Discuss how to manage a complaint by a preceptor or preceptee
- Identify how preceptors help preceptees develop professional skills and relationships
- Explain the importance of verbal and non-verbal communication in preceptorships
- Discuss three communication patterns used by preceptees and preceptors
- Discuss the principles of adult learning
- Explain how to apply the principles of adult learning to preceptorships
- Identify strategies to help new nurses and nursing students overcome reality shock
- Relate the importance of evidence-based practice to preceptorship
- Identify critical thinking behaviors and how this helps preceptees
- Describe how preceptors can help preceptees with time management skills
- Describe competency-based orientation as it relates to preceptorships
- Explain how competencies are assessed as part of the preceptor process
- Identify at least three components of meaningful competency assessments
- Explain methods used to verify competency
- Differentiate between performance review and competency assessment
- Differentiate between performance evaluation and feedback
- Discuss the four steps in evaluating the performance of preceptees
- Explain the guidelines for providing effective feedback
- Describe the transition from preceptorship to mentorship
- Explain the benefits of entering the next level (mentorship) of professional nurse development
- Discuss the importance of introducing preceptees to a team concept
- Identify at least three strategies for expanding effective communication networks
- Describe a best practice celebrating effective nurse preceptors
- List at least 10 tips for successful preceptorships
- Describe three tools to help facilitate effective nurse preceptorships
Want to order the book and handbook separately?
Product Types :