RAC Strategy: Preserve Margin, Prevent Take-backs, Promote Alignment
Webcast on CD or Webcast On-Demand
presented on November 10, 2009
Dealing with Recovery Audit Contractors (RACs) is NOT something you can just delegate.
RACs can have far-reaching financial and system-wide consequences; leaders deal with issues that touch on staffing, physician relations, quality outcomes, and the reputation of your organization and your physicians. To attack the RACs or any post payment review, you need an integrated strategic plan that enhances alignment, reduces costs, and improves quality.
Learn from those who have participated in the demonstration project and succeeded, and ask them your questions as well.
In this HealthLeaders Media webcast, you'll learn how to:
- Develop the organization-wide processes required to protect your operating margin, and promote alignment
- Establish the appropriate-and necessary-level of involvement between the C-suite and the board for optimal financial and operational efficiency
- Keep your facility's earned revenue, and prevent it from becoming suspect in a RAC audit, and learn how to survive retrospective audits
- Structure your FTEs so that you do not need to go on a back-end RAC hiring binge
- Establish the right job requirements for the critical Physician Advisor position to ensure success with physicians and the board
- Understand what your board needs from you and what you need to provide the board
- Understand the appeals process as a business decision impacting your operating margin
- The role of the board of directors
- Fiduciary Responsibility
- What to present and when
- A model for the successful CEO
- Driving financial performance
- Breaking down silos, enforcing organizational changes
- Shifting (not adding) FTEs to front-end processes
- Dealing with pushback from physicians, staff
- Development of the physician advisor role
- Choosing the right PA and structure for your culture
- Setting benchmark expectations for your PA
- Assisting the PA with physician pushback and non compliance
- Question and answer session
Elizabeth Lamkin, MHA, former market president and CEO for Hilton Head Regional Healthcare. Lamkin successfully developed a RAC strategy at Tenet's Hilton Head location that resulted in no take-backs. With more than 20 years of executive management experience in the non-profit, clinical teaching, and for-profit healthcare sector, Lamkin has held positions as COO for North Fulton Regional Medical Center in Atlanta, area CEO and CEO for Healthsouth in Arizona and Charleston, SC, and administrator, The Heart Hospital, Richland Memorial, Palmetto Health, Columbia, SC. She is currently an Associate of Axcel Healthcare Group which provides a broad range of strategic and tactical services for hospitals and healthcare providers.
Bruce Redler, MD, physician advisor for Hilton Head Regional Healthcare. Since 2004, he has served in this key RAC role, interacting with both leadership and physicians as the hospital successfully navigated the RAC process. Dr. Redler is a past president of the Hilton Head Hospital Medical Staff. He is a graduate of Northwestern Univ Medical School and did his residency at Barnes Hospital, Washington Univ.
William L. Malm, ND, RN, healthcare consultant for Craneware, Orlando, FL. With over 20 years of experience in a combination of clinical and financial positions, Malm has recognized the need for leadership to be involved in the new RAC processes. He specializes in operations surrounding chargemasters and has performed over 250 CDM analysis engagements. His specialty is also in operations resulting from the chargemaster, including education, audit and post-implementation reviews. Additionally, Malm has been involved in many post-payment reviews with insight into the needs of the facility.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
CEO, COO, Administrator, CFO, Chief Medical Officer, Medical Director, Chief Quality Officer
New Purchase Option- WEBCAST ON-DEMAND
In addition to the regular CD purchase option for HealthLeaders Media Webcasts, we are pleased to offer a new option: webcast on-demand. When you purchase a webcast on-demand, you will be able to view the program anywhere and anytime by logging into your account on http://www.healthleadersmedia.com/. It's also a perfect training tool for new staff or as a refresher for veteran staff.
Product Types :