Physician Queries Workshop
AUDIO CONFERENCE ON CD OR ON-DEMAND
presented on March 24, 2010
The AHIMA physician query practice brief is an often referenced guide but many CDI specialists struggle with practical implementation of its recommendations.
Don’t take risks with methods that may lead to scrutiny or a RAC audit. CDI experts Lynne Spryszak, RN, CCDS, CPC-A, and Margi Brown, RHIA, CCS, CCS-P, CPC, CCDS, show you how to streamline your query process and discuss appropriate use of templates. They also address common obstacles that interfere with compliant queries (written and verbal), and provide you with hands-on, practical methods to overcome them.
Prior to listening to this program, purchasers should familiarize themselves with AHIMA’s “Managing an Effective Query Process,” which is available by clicking the link.
At the conclusion of this audio conference, you will be able to:
- Identify the elements of a compliant query
- Demonstrate the ability to write an “audit-proof query”
- Determine which documentation situations are appropriate for templates and which require a “customized” approach
- Draft compliant, effective queries for common diagnosis clarifications
- Compliant v. a non-compliant queries
- Key elements of a query
- Verbal v. written queries
- Queries for selected conditions
- Renal failure
- Other conditions
- Query templates
- Pros and cons of templates v. queries from scratch
- Key elements to include in templates
- Scenarios and solutions
- How to use clinical criteria to support a query
- What to do when physicians say, "Tell me what to write"
- What to do when physicians fail to respond
- How to write a compliant query
- How to present a compliant verbal query
- How to establish an effective query process
- Sample compliant queries
MATERIALSIn addition to the expertise and advice presented during this audio conference, you'll also receive a slide presentation of the program materials and:
- Query templates
- Sample query policies
- Query process suggestions (step-by-step narrative or flowchart)
These materials are provided with PDF links.
MEET THE SPEAKERS
Lynne Spryszak, RN, CCDS, CPC-A, is CDI education director at HCPro, Inc. She has experience in clinical documentation and coding compliance, quality improvement, physician education, leadership and program development. Previously, she has worked on Clinical Documentation Integrity program implementations, and spent several years as the manager of a 400-bed acute care facility. She is a founding member of the Association of Clinical Documentation Improvement Specialists (ACDIS) advisory board and a member of the CCDS exam committee, serving as a content developer.
Margi Brown, RHIA, CCS, CCS-P, CPC, CCDS, has worked as a consultant with Precyse Solutions, FTI, DCBA, and has implemented or enhanced CDI programs in large and small hospital systems. Her hands-on experience of more than 25 years covers a wide range of HIM issues in a variety of settings. She specializes in CDI; inpatient, outpatient, and physician audits and education; denials management; and other HIM activities for hospitals, clinics, third party payers, and law firms.
WHO SHOULD LISTEN?
CDI specialists, inpatient coders, HIM/coding managers, CDI department managers, DRG coordinators, compliance officers, physician advisors, case management professionals, quality officers, finance department employees.
In addition to the regular purchase options for HCPro audio conferences, we are pleased to offer another option, audio on-demand. Audio on-demand allows you to download the program and play it back at your convenience through your computer or MP3 player. Purchase a CD or audio on-demand of the program and listen when you can. It's also a perfect training tool for new staff or as a refresher for veteran staff.
Product Types :