Telephone and Verbal Orders: Practical Approaches to Improving Compliance
Webcast on CD or On-Demand
Sponsored by the Association of Healthcare Accreditation Professionals (AHAP)
presented on July 8, 2010
Put safety back into the equation
HCPro presents the webcast with expert speakers Bud Pate, REHS, and Mary J. Hoppa, MD, MBA, CMSL, who help clarify the Joint Commission’s expectations on telephone and verbal orders, and provide strategies to improve patient safety and increase physician accountability. Reduce the number of verbal/telephone orders your physicians issue, and minimize the regulatory risk associated with the ones that do go through.
LEARNING OBJECTIVESAt the conclusion of this webcast, you will be able to:
- Develop a thorough understanding of regulatory requirements for telephone/verbal orders
- Identify common pitfalls related to telephone/verbal orders that could result in citations
- List actions taken once citations are issued regarding telephone/verbal orders
TAKE A LOOK AT THE AGENDA:
- Regulatory requirements
- Separating myth from reality
- Highly cited by The Joint Commission
- Few states have exemptions to 48-hour window
- Common operational difficulties
- Many telephone/verbal orders given on overnight shift
- Computerized Physician Order Entry (CPOE) systems will not solve the problem
- Countersigning orders 48 hours later has nothing to do with safety
- Practical approaches to the problem
- Minimizing telephone/verbal orders
- Putting patient safety back in the equation
- Verifying timeliness of countersignatures/dating and timing
- Examples of hospitals that have gotten it wrong
- Question and answer session
Bud Pate, REHS, vice president for content and development, The Greeley Company (a division of HCPro, Inc.). Prior to joining The Greeley Company, Pate spent 15 years with system-wide hospital quality and compliance responsibility for Kaiser Permanente in Southern California. Before that, Pate worked for the government, where he was responsible for all acute care licensing and CMS certification activities in Los Angeles County.
Mary J. Hoppa, MD, MBA, CMSL, senior physician consultant, The Greeley Company (a division of HCPro, Inc.). Dr. Hoppa brings more than 15 years of healthcare leadership and management experience to her work with physicians, hospitals, and healthcare organizations across the country. She is a family physician with 15 years of post-residency practice experience. She has experience in credentialing and privileging, peer review and quality, medical staff education, conflict resolution, and is the leader of The Greeley Company’s bylaws division.
WHO SHOULD LISTEN?
Accreditation professionals, survey coordinators, patient safety professionals, quality improvement officers, risk managers, nurse managers, nurses.
We are pleased to offer a new option: webcast on-demand. When you purchase a webcast on-demand, you will be able to view the program anywhere and any time by logging into your account. It's a perfect training tool for new staff or a refresher for veteran staff.
Product Types :