Apply Industry Guidance to Improve Procedures and Data Tracking
AUDIO CONFERENCE ON CD OR ON-DEMAND
Sponsored by: ACDIS
Presented on Friday, March 18, 2011
A November 2010 ACDIS survey shows nearly 50% of respondents either are not familiar with industry guidance governing physician query practices or have not incorporated such recommendations into their physician query practices. Without a compliant query program, organizations are at risk for recoupment and increased government scrutiny.
During this 90-minute audio conference, our speakers—a member of the AHIMA 2010 CDI Work Group and a physician with query expertise—will review highlights of the rules that govern requests for documentation clarification from providers e.g., physician queries.
They will present examples of compliant and questionable communication practices and provide solutions that incorporate industry best practices for the development of CDI policies and procedures. They will also briefly examine opportunities for query analysis to monitor program success.
Note: This is an intermediate-level audio conference. Participants should have a basic understanding of clinical documentation improvement practices and experience crafting physician queries.
At the conclusion of this audio conference, you will be able to:
- Identify government rules addressing requests for clarification from physicians e.g., physician queries
- Recognize industry best practices for physician query development
- Integrate industry guidance into query policy and procedures
- Describe the difference between compliant and questionable queries
- Identify key metrics to measure CDI query successes
- Federal regulations and guidance
- CMS, OIG, ICD-9-CM Official Guidelines for Coding and Reporting, Coding Clinic
- New diagnosis rule
- Review of AHIMA guidance
- 2008 practice brief
- 2010 CDI Work Group practice brief and toolkit
- Compliant and questionable queries
- Case studies
- Query categories such as legibility, specificity, vague/incomplete
- Tracking and analyzing query data
- Creation of policies and procedures
MEET THE SPEAKERS
Cheryl Ericson, MS, RN, Manager, Clinical Documentation Improvement (CDI) and Utilization Review, Medical University of South Carolina in Charleston, SC.Andrew Rothschild, MD, MS, MPH, FAAP, CCDS, is a physician consultant and associate director with Navigant Consulting, Inc., of Chicago.
BONUS MATERIALS INCLUDED IN YOUR MATERIAL PACKET
In addition to the expertise and information presented during this audio conference, you'll also receive these helpful “take-aways” provided within your materials pack:
- The ACDIS 2010 and 2009 physician queries benchmarking reports
- Sample policies and procedures
WHO SHOULD LISTEN?
Clinical documentation improvement specialists (CDIS); case managers; HIM directors, managers, and inpatient coders; physician advisors
Purchase a CD or an audio on-demand of the audio conference and listen when you can. It's also a perfect training tool for new staff or as a refresher for veteran staff.
Product Types :
SOURCE CODE: EHCPR