Outpatient Bed Charge Capture: Billing for Common and Complex Cases
AUDIO CONFERENCE ON CD OR ON-DEMAND
Sponsored by: Briefings on APCs
Presented on Tuesday, June 14, 2011
Organizations still struggle with how to bill observation, what is packaged nursing services, how to count observation time, and what services should be carved out. Further complicating matters are EHR/meaningful use rules and computerized practitioner order entry (CPOE).
During this 90-minute audio conference, our expert speakers walk you through common and complex cases and explain compliant billing. You'll learn how to review your own records and audit your UB-04s to find where corrective action should be taken.
Note: This is an intermediate-level program. Listeners should have a general familiarity with the OPPS payment system and billing concepts such as condition codes and revenue codes.
At the conclusion of this program, participants will be able to:
- Describe how outpatient bed time is packaged in OPPS payments
- Identify factors that make patient status unclear
- Explain how to count time in observation
- Determine an appropriate hourly rate
- Demonstrate how to properly complete the UB-04 for various observation-related scenarios
TAKE A LOOK AT THE AGENDA
- Capturing costs for outpatients in beds
- Defining different types of outpatients in beds
- OPPS packaging of outpatient bed time
- Counting time in observation
- System issues that cause confusion with status
- Physician order set
- Scheduling problems
- EHR and CPOE (computerized practitioner order entry)
- Meaningful use and patient status
- Case studies: From the clinical scenarios to the UB-04
- Active monitoring and packaged services
- Three-day payment window—and observation hours
- Packaged outpatient bedtime vs. observation
- A live question and answer session follows the presentation.
MEET THE SPEAKERS
Kimberly Anderwood Hoy, JD, CPC is the director of Medicare and compliance for HCPro, Inc. She is a lead regulatory specialist for HCPro’s Revenue Cycle Institute and is the lead instructor for HCPro’s Medicare Boot Camp® – Hospital Version and Medicare Boot Camp® – Critical Access Hospital Version. She is a former hospital compliance officer and in-house legal counsel, and developed and implemented corporate wide hospital compliance programs. She has experience conducing billing, compliance audits and internal investigations.
Denise Williams, RN, CPC-H, is director of revenue integrity services for Health Revenue Assurance Associates, Inc. She has more than 20 years of healthcare experience, including history as a clinical nurse in cardiopulmonary, oncology and med-surgery, Medicare and third party payer compliance for a multi-hospital system and charge master coordination for two multi-hospital systems. She is a member of the HCPro editorial advisory board for the APC Weekly Monitor.
CONTINUING EDUCATION CREDITS
AAPC: This program has prior approval of the American Academy of Professional Coders for 1.5 Continuing Education Units. Granting of this approval in no way constitutes endorsement by the Academy of the program, content or the program sponsor.
AHIMA: This program has been approved for 1.0 continuing education unit for use in fulfilling the continuing education requirements of the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA).
WHO SHOULD LISTEN?
HIM directors, managers, and coders; outpatient coding staff; billing managers and staff; business office managers and staff; finance managers; revenue cycle managers and staff; chargemaster coordinators; revenue integrity managers and staff; admission and registration directors; surgery scheduler managers; case managers; compliance officers.
Purchase a CD or an audio on-demand of the audio conference and listen when you can. It's also a perfect training tool for new staff or as a refresher for veteran staff.
Product Types :
SOURCE CODE: EHCPR