Billing No-Cost and Low-Cost Devices: Tips to Avoid the Audit Fast Track
AUDIO CONFERENCE ON CD OR ON-DEMAND
Sponsored by Briefings on APCs
Presented on Thursday, May 26, 2011
Traps, Tips and Suggestions for Modifiers —FB and —FC
Non-compliant coding and billing for free or reduced-cost devices can put your reimbursement at risk. Attend this live audio conference and learn how to use modifiers -FB and -FC to communicate to coders and billers that a device is free or reduced.
During this 90-minute audio conference, our speakers will use a case study to demonstrate best practices to help you comply with regulations. You'll learn how to avoid the pitfalls and traps that lead to audits.
Note: Participants should have an understanding of basic coding and billing processes and use of modifiers.
At the end of the program, you will be able to:
- Explain proper use of modifiers -FB and –FC
- Identify devices affected by modifiers –FB and -FC
- Evaluate and modify internal processes for proper billing and payment reconciliation
- Describe Medicare billing rules for medical devices
- Illustrate common pitfalls associated with device coding
- Create strategies to minimize device billing errors
- Billing rules for devices
- Medicare regulations
- Tables and offset amounts
- II. Traps, tips, and suggestions
- -FB modifier
- -FC modifier
- Other issues – devices in kits, wasted devices
- OIG and other audit findings
- Policies and procedures
- Payment processes
- Main stakeholders
- Coordination between affected departments
- Communication with the manufacturer
- Post-payment reconciliation processes
- Case study: From front end through payment
- Materials management and central supply
- Accounts payable
A question and answer session follows the presentation.
MEET THE SPEAKERS
Debbie Mackaman, RHIA, CHCO, is an instructor for HCPro’s Medicare Boot Camp®-Hospital Version and the Medicare Boot Camp®-Critical Access Hospital Version. She is a former hospital compliance officer and HIM director and has more than 20 years of experience in the healthcare industry, including both inpatient and outpatient Prospective Payment Systems (IPPS, OPPS) and Critical Access Hospital (CAH) coding and reimbursement issues.Christi Sarasin, CCS, CCDS, CPC-H, FCS, is the principal of a consulting practice based in Friendship, MD. She has more than 29 years of experience in health information management and consulting experience with expertise in areas including inpatient and outpatient coding compliance, operations assessment, emergency department coding reviews, DRG validations, and pre-bill and retrospective auditing.
WHO SHOULD LISTEN?
HIM managers, outpatient coders and supervisors, outpatient billers and supervisors, charge master coordinators, auditors, and staff from OR, finance, and compliance.
BONUS MATERIAL INCLUDED IN YOUR MATERIAL PACKET
In addition to the expertise and advice presented during this audio conference, you'll receive a Billing checklist.
In addition to the regular participation options for HCPro audio conferences—live, CD, or combination packages—we are pleased to offer another option, audio on-demand. Audio on-demand allows you to download the program and play it back at your convenience through your computer or MP3 player. It's also a perfect training tool for new staff or as a refresher for veteran staff.
Product Types :
SOURCE CODE: EHCPR